June 13, 2017

Felted Bear Mobile | DIY Nursery Decor

My feet are so swollen from this summer heat but mostly just from the fact that I'm 36 weeks pregnant :( So I find myself staying indoors more where I can camp out next to the fan with a glass of ice water and a place to prop my feet up. It's almost comical how puffy my feet have become and I can no longer wear my wedding rings either! But despite this, I'm still in full nesting mode. I've washed all Kai's clothes in preparation for his arrival. I organize and then reorganize his dresser, trying to find the ultimate configuration of the diapers, wipes and onesies. And I'm continuously watching YouTube for "Newborn Essentials" videos and scrolling through Pinterest for all things baby. Somewhere in there is when I discovered handmade felt mobiles.


These soft and plushy mobiles are full of whimsy and charm. There are many artisans that create them on Etsy featuring all sorts of themes. With so many baby items these days full of garish colours and patterns, it's nice to see something that's classic and quality made. But of course, these handmade mobiles had a price to match their craftsmanship with many of them in the $100 to $200 range. So I took it on to myself to create one of my own and it proved to be fairly simple.




Supplies:
  • Embroidery Hoop
  • Thick Yarn
  • Embroidery Floss/Thread
  • Wool Felt Balls
  • Wool Felt Animal(s)
  • Large Needle (with large eye)
Now I didn't make this mobile completely from scratch as I repurposed the wool felt balls and the wool felt polar bear that I already had. The balls were from a garland I bought off of Etsy a few years ago which was around $20. The polar bear I bought from Indigo Books when all of their Christmas ornaments go on sale (the best time to stock up!). Since I already had these items it made the project pretty economical as the rest of the supplies I bought for less than $10. 

First I took the embroidery hoop and started wrapping it with the yarn. I wrapped the hoop about 3 times to give it a really plush effect and to make sure all the wood was covered. The yarn I bought was ombre blue so I played around with it as I wrapped to give it a multicoloured look. 

Next, I tied four strands of the yarn evenly spaced around the hoop and then gathered them together into a knot to allow it to be hung from the ceiling. Then I took the large needle threaded with the embroidery floss and strung together the felt balls into an ombre of blue. I didn't need to knot each one in place because the thickness of the embroidery thread gave it enough resistance so that they stayed wherever I arranged them. I made 5 of these strands and knotted them around the hoop. Lastly, I made a small stitch on the polar bear's back with the embroidery floss and hung him from the centre. 

So overall it was a really simple project that only took me an hour but it has such a big impact. I love its cosy handmade feel and that it fits perfectly into Kai's nursery theme. I hope Kai will enjoy gazing up at it when he's dozing off!
SHARE:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© victoria + arrow. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig